Is everybody ready for a convoluted story? If not I suggest you prepare yourself or go elsewhere.
A few weeks ago, I was scanning 20-something-bloggers looking for some new web-fodder for my blog-addicted brain. While scanning the randomly selected member photos I noticed one that showed a (from what I could see in a ¾” square picture) kinda bitchin’ bird tattoo. Now I love me some tattoos (though I do not love me some dropping a few hundred dollars to get them since I am a cheaposaurus) so I clicked over and found myself at the profile of a chick who had, along with her bitchin’ tattoo, an equally bitchin’ blog concept. (Go on…right click/ctrl, open in new window/tab…I’ll wait)
Now, because I am a social networking whore, I could not resist adding the author on Twitter as well. Over the next couple of days I noticed that most of her tweets about new posts were on another blog she has that was something about 101/1001. Now I like fractions as much as the next girl (this is not at all true), but I doubt that this is an entire blog dedicated to one, so to satiate my curiosity, I clicked over.
Turns out it chronicles her participation in something called the 101 Goals in 1001 Days Program.
Huh…neat I guess. Question answered. I move on.
But as the days roll by and twitter keeps reminding me of this program the List Demon in my head takes over. I love love love lists; so the prospect of being able to engage myself in a list-based activity and maybe give my life a little shot in the arm was really very appealing to me. And I had been looking to do this sort of thing ever since the beginning of the year when Mandy started a really cool, year-long photo project. There is just one problem…
I am horrid at sticking with stuff. There is no way on God’s green earth I am going to be able to attend to my 101 goals for almost 3 years. Not gonna happen.
Know what I can do though? Remove zeros. They don’t count for anything anyway, right? So, if I just reach in and snatch one 0 out from the goals and one 0 out from the days, I’m left with something even my lazy, non-dedicated butt can handle…11 Goals in 101 Days.
So that shall be my summer project. As of September 25, 2009 (101 days from tomorrow, since today is already half over) I shall strive to accomplish the following goals:
1. Post at least one, non-phoning-it-in blog post a week and remember to come up with a Wednesday Word of the Week every wednesday. (0/15)
2. Visit all of the members of Garden State Craft Brewers Guild. (0/14)
3. Get X>Y, where X = the amount of $ in my savings account and Y= my credit card balance. (0/1)
4. At least attempt the sunday crossword every week, though not necessarily on sunday. (0/15)
5. Read 10 books. (0/10)
6. Walk around the lake by my house 30 times. (0/30)
7. Travel more than 100 miles away from home 3 times. (0/3)
8. Hear a band I’ve never heard play live. (0/1)
9. Hug someone every day (so as not to be creepy Dad and Dahling count). (0/101)
10. Beat the stupid level in Final Fantasy that I’m stuck at. (0/1)
11. Find an interesting volunteer activity and, you know, volunteer to do that activity. (0/1)
Some of them are easy, some of them are highly unlikely and for the most part they really shouldn’t be considered self-improvement, but hey, my goals my issue.
… if you want to complain maybe you should make your own 11 goals.